At a Glance
The Village, with a population of 4,239 in 2010, is within the Town of Hamilton and is located in the Chenango Valley in Madison County. The Village is approximately 40 miles southeast of Syracuse and 30 miles southwest of Utica.
Ruth Ann Loveless
Term: July 6, 2021 - July 5, 2023
In 1816, The Village obtained a charter to incorporate and the people change the name to “Hamilton,” in honor of Alexander Hamilton.
Samuel Payne and his wife, among the first settlers, donated their land to the Baptist Theological Society, which became Madison University and later Colgate University.
The Erie Canal was opened in 1825, with the Chenango Canal connecting the Erie from Utica and Binghamton in 1836. Its route passed through our village.