Welcome to the Village of Hamilton, NY
The Village, with a population of 4,239 in 2010, is within the Town of Hamilton and is located in the Chenango Valley in Madison County. The Village is approximately 40 miles southeast of Syracuse and 30 miles southwest of Utica.First inhabited by members of the Iroquois League, it was later settled by Elisha Payne, and was called Payne’s Settlement. Payne and his wife, among the first settlers, donated their land to the Baptist Theological Society, which became Colgate University in 1819, (not to be confused with Hamilton College which is located 30 miles north in Clinton, New York.)
The Village of Hamilton is governed by a five member Board of Trustees with the Mayor as presiding officer. In addition to the elected officials and professional officers, the governance of the Village rests in the hands of about fifty volunteers who serve by appointment on ten boards, commissions, and committees.
The Village is also served by a volunteer ambulance service (SOMAC) and Community Memorial Hospital. Recreation abounds in the area including approximately 9 miles of Village maintained trails along the former Ontario and Western Railroad right-of-way and the original Chenango Canal towpath.